December is a time to reflect on the passing year, and look forward to the next. In hindsight, 2017 was quite a year! Both personally and professionally, my life took some interesting turns. I thought I'd share with you a few of the things I picked up over the last 360-or-so days.
**And please let me know how your year was, and what you would add to your list!**
- If it's for career, follow your strengths; if it's for personal growth, follow your weaknesses.
- You never know what is happening in someone's world. Life is chaotic. Be kind.
- Humility is the ability to see yourself with complete honesty.
- Facing your failures requires a huge dose of humility.
- Home is not (just) the place you sleep; it's the centre of your gravity.
- Say you're sorry. Don't say, "-but"
- a. It's really difficult to live on the other side of the world, in a culture so vastly different from your own.
b. My mom is a rock star because she: 1. moved to the other side of the world 2. completely started over her career and 3. earned a college degree IN A SECOND LANGUAGE
- Nothing is simpler, and nothing is harder, than love.
- Experience new places like a local. Tavel slow. Eat authentic meals. Take in the sights and sounds through your eyes instead of your screen.
- In general, actually, put your smartphone down a little more.
- Perfection is not the aim. It's unattainable. You will inevitably live through your screen, or say "but," or lack humility, at one point or another. Consistently trying to align your behaviours with your values and goals is the best any of us can do.
- Try not to hold your relationship hostage. Mistakes are not the same as fatal flaws.
- It takes much longer to leave the psychic place with your feelings than it does to leave the physical place with your body. Especially if there's trauma involved.
- Love need not be conditional; it can be as constant and reliable as the sun.
- Finish what your start. Even if it takes years. It's (almost) never too late.
- You don't have to agree with someone or what they do to love them.
- Tackle the big things by chipping away slowly, a little each day.
- Who you are is never more clear than your reflection in relationships. Good, bad, beautiful, ugly. Your partner is a mirror, and sometimes you don't like what you see.
- No one likes having their flaws and weaknesses pointed out. You can either disagree and stay the same, or be humble about it and grow.
- You're always one decision away from a different life.
- "Growing up is difficult. Strangely, even when we have stopped growing physically, we seem to have to keep on growing emotionally, which involves both expansion and shrinkage, as some parts of us develop and others must be allowed to disappear." - J. Winterson
- Good luck sorting out which part is which^
-"Be who you are and say how you feel. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -unknown origin
- Your life, your choice.
And finally, I think this one really can't be said enough times,
- Life is chaos. Be kind.
What would you put on your list?